In our guide to Off-Page SEO, we talked a bit about Guest Posting as one of the main methods of getting backlinks.
In this article, we’re going to cover it in depth.
What is Guest Posting?
Guest posting, also known as guest blogging, involves writing and publishing content on someone else’s website or blog in exchange for a link back to your website. It is by far the most common form of building links to your website, and with good reason. Guest posting enables you to build relationships with other bloggers and website owners, increase brand awareness, and generate additional traffic and backlinks to your own website.
Basics of Guest Posting
Guest posting is a simple process that involves finding a relevant website or blog that accepts guest posts and submitting your content for consideration. Here are the basic steps in guest posting:
- Research relevant websites or blogs in your niche that accept guest posts.
- Review the website or blog’s guest post guidelines to ensure your content meets their requirements. This may include word count, formatting, and topic restrictions.
- Develop a topic or idea for your guest post that aligns with the website or blog’s audience and content.
- Reach out to the blog or website with your idea. If they accept it, write a high-quality, informative, and engaging guest post that provides value to the website or blog’s readers.
- Submit your guest post to the website or blog for review. Be sure to follow up with the website or blog owner if you do not hear back within a reasonable timeframe.
Once your guest post is accepted and published, you can enjoy the benefits of increased brand exposure, traffic, and backlinks to your own website.
The SEO Benefits of Guest Posting
Guest posting is an effective way to improve your website’s search engine optimization (SEO). By creating high-quality content and publishing it on other websites, you can increase your web authority, organic traffic, and keyword optimization. Here are some of the SEO benefits of guest posting:
Increased Web Authority
One of the primary benefits of guest posting is that it can help you establish yourself as an authority in your niche. When you publish content on reputable websites, you gain exposure to a broader audience, which can help you build your brand and reputation. Additionally, guest posting can help you build relationships with other experts in your field, which can further enhance your credibility.
Increased Organic Traffic
Guest posting can also help you increase your website’s organic traffic. When you publish content on other websites, you can include links back to your own site. Additionally, if your content is well-written and engaging, readers may be more likely to click through to your site to learn more about your brand and offerings.
Diversified Link Profile
Another benefit of guest posting is that it can help you diversify your link profile. Search engines consider the quality and diversity of your backlinks when determining your website’s authority and ranking.
Search Engines also tend to think sites with profiles full of the same types of backlinks are trying to game the algorithms and will penalize them as a result.
By publishing content on a variety of websites, you can build a diverse portfolio of backlinks that can help improve and protect your SEO efforts.
Guest posting can also help you optimize your website for specific keywords. By including relevant keywords in your guest post content and linking back to your website with those keywords, you can signal to search engines that your site is relevant and authoritative for those terms.
More Relationships Built in Your Niche
Finally, guest posting can help you build relationships with other professionals in your niche. By collaborating with other experts and publishing content on their websites, you can establish yourself as a thought leader in your field and build valuable connections that can help you grow your business.
In conclusion, guest posting is a powerful tool for improving your website’s SEO. By leveraging the benefits of guest posting, you can increase your web authority, organic traffic, and keyword optimization while building valuable relationships with other experts in your niche.
Step-by-Step Guide To Guest Posting
Guest posting is a great way to improve your website’s SEO and increase your online presence. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you get start guest posting.
How To Find Guest Posting Opportunities
The first step to guest posting is finding websites that accept guest posts. Here are some ways to find guest posting opportunities:
- Use Google search strings: Use search strings “write for us” or “submit a guest post” followed by your niche or topic. This works best if you go niche up a notch because people in your niche will usually see you as competition. Make sure “write for us” or “submit a guest post” are in quotation marks as well. For example, if your niche is weightlifting, you can search for: fitness “write for us”.
- Check out competitor backlinks: Use tools like Ahrefs, SE Ranking or SEMrush to analyze your competitor’s backlinks and see if they have any guest posts published on other websites. If you find them
- Use guest post databases: Websites like GuestPostTracker.com or MyBlogGuest.com have databases of websites that accept guest posts.
Best Practices for Pitching Guest Posts
Once you’ve found websites that accept guest posts, it’s time to pitch your ideas. Here are some best practices for pitching guest posts:
- Personalize your pitch: Address the website owner or editor by name and mention why you’re interested in guest posting on their website.
- Keep it short and sweet: Write a concise email that clearly explains your guest post idea and why it would be a good fit for their website.
- Provide value: Make sure your guest post idea provides value to their audience and aligns with their website’s niche or topic.
- Follow up: Most business and site owners are busy. Just because they didn’t reply to your email doesn’t mean they’re not interested in a guest post. Send them another pitch after some time has passed.
How To Write a Good Guest Post
Congratulations! Your guest post pitch has been accepted. Now it’s time to write a good guest post. Here are some tips to help you write a successful guest post:
- Follow the website’s guidelines: Make sure you read and follow the website’s guest post guidelines carefully.
- Provide value: Your guest post should provide value to their audience and align with their website’s niche or topic.
- Use a catchy headline: Your headline should be attention-grabbing and accurately reflect the content of your guest post.
- Write high-quality content: Your guest post should be well-written, informative, and engaging.
- Include a call-to-action: End your guest post with a call-to-action that encourages readers to visit your website or engage with your brand on social media.
That’s it! Follow these steps and best practices to successfully guest post and improve your website’s SEO.
Guest Post Mistakes To Avoid
When it comes to guest posting, there are a few common mistakes that many beginners make. Avoiding these mistakes can help you get the most out of your guest posting efforts. Here are some of the most common guest post mistakes to avoid:
Pitching to Topically Irrelevant Sites
One of the biggest mistakes that many guest posters make is pitching to topically irrelevant sites. This means that they are pitching their content to sites that are not relevant to their niche or industry. This can be a waste of time and effort, as the audience of the site may not be interested in your content.
To avoid making this mistake, make sure that you research the site and its audience before pitching your content. Look for sites relevant to your niche or industry, with have an audience that would be interested in your content.
Even if the topically irrelevant site agrees to post your content, the backlink will hurt more than help. One time at the SEO agency, we had a lead reach out to us in need of some advice. They had a Plumbing business and couldn’t understand why the guest posts they tried getting on their own weren’t helping their website. After auditing their backlink profile, we found the reason: their links all came from cooking blogs! We advised them to get backlinks from construction and home improvement blogs, and we haven’t had to help them since.
Pitching to Sites that Have Been Penalized By Google
Another mistake that many guest posters make is pitching to sites that have been penalized by Google. This can be a big problem, as links from penalized sites can hurt your own site’s search engine rankings.
To avoid this mistake, make sure that you research the site’s search engine history before pitching your content. Look for sites with a good search engine history and no penalizations from Google.
A good way to check if a site’s been penalized is to look at the traffic before and after a big update. If it has dropped significantly right after the update, chances are it got hit.
Using Exact Match Anchor Text Too Often
Using exact match anchor text too often is another mistake that many guest posters make. This means they’re using the exact same anchor text for all of their links, which can look unnatural to search engines.
To avoid this mistake, make sure that you use a variety of anchor text for your links. Use natural language and vary your anchor text to make it look more natural to search engines.
By avoiding these common guest post mistakes, you can help ensure that your guest posting efforts are successful and that you get the most out of your SEO benefits.
We hope you found this guide on Guest posting useful in your SEO campaigns.
For more guides and helpful posts related to SEO, click here to visit our blog.
Till next time!